Friday, May 6, 2011

Someone Died

With the recent news of Osama Bin Laden's death, the world has been on fire with comments and opinions about the subject.  It seems the majority is celebrating his passing.  I can't help but find this wrong.

Understand, I don't think it's right to celebrate the loss of any human life.  Yeah, it's okay to celebrate the end of tyranny, or a selfless act, but the loss of life itself is something I will never celebrate. 
My religious view on this issue is that we should be happy that a terrorist was stopped before he cost anymore innocent lives.  But his death is still a tragic thing.  Remember, Jesus died on that cross for everyone, including Osama Bin Laden, and we lost a chance for God to redeem someone.

I can't help but think back to the end scene in Les Miserables, where Javert understands where justice will lead him, and in the end, he chooses to take justice upon himself to show a little mercy and let Jean Valjean go free.  He didn't have to.  Everything in his life had been centered on the pursuit of justice, and it led him to the logical outcome of justice: death.

I could write ten sermons on that scene.  (Speaking of which, I need to find out when my next sermon date is...)

It makes me wonder, what would have happened if someone had shown Bin Laden a little mercy in his life?

No comments:

Post a Comment