Monday, April 4, 2011

A Bit of a Surprise

This weekend, Deanna and I walked in the MS Walk in Spokane.  We did this last year too, as my company has a team that participates every year.  I must say that a lot of the people that go to this event are walking in memory of someone, or have some personal connection to MS research/patients/families.  I feel a bit guilty that we use it mostly as an excuse to push ourselves physically.

Last year we did the 2 mile course, but this year we decided to try the 5.5 mile course.  It was severely misleading.  Having done the 2 mile course, it was virtually flat the entire way.  However, the 5.5 mile course was akin to hiking up and down mountains. 

I am, of course, exaggerating...a bit.

But it definitely was a surprise that the path could go that far down, and seemingly go up more than it went down.  We made it though.  What was more surprising to me than the number or amount of ups and downs, but that my body didn't really struggle with it as much as I feared.

For a long time now, I've been walking about 2 miles each morning, and while I thought that the 5.5 miles would kill my muscles, it turned out that my legs were fine, not even burning during the uphills or long stretches of track.  It was mostly just my energy level that forced me to stop and rest every now and then.  Quite an achievement, and definitely worth it, especially since Deanna pampered my sore feet when we got back.

I'm looking forward to walking the Spokane Indians 8K later this year with her.  Something we haven't done in a couple years.  :)

On a completely unrelated note, I am working on another Screen Cap Comic project inspired by Wes Molebash and Michael Scattergood.  If you want to check out my older, left by the wayside Screen Cap project, just click here.

So, dear readers, when was the last time you were surprised about something?

No comments:

Post a Comment