Friday, March 11, 2011

Because...Well, Why Not?

Deanna is one of the few people I actually know that observe Lent.  I'm not against it, nor do I observe it.  But it is interesting to hear people talk about giving things up, especially when it comes to the days of the week.

Fat Tuesday

Ash Wednesday

Must See TV Thursday

I have to admit that in the way of traditions that involve naming days of the week meaningful things, my favorite would have to be one I learned early on as a teen.

Fat Saturday

This was originally, as far as I knew, invented by Bill Cosby as a joke during the Season 8 episode "With This Ring?"  (I know, I know, it's really the end of the Mardi Gras celebration, but I don't really observe that either.)  I like his version best anyways.  You can eat whatever you want, all day long.

It'd be cool if we did that every year.  Except of course for the people who gave up chocolate, because no matter how much sugar you eat, you just can't satisfy a chocolate craving.

As many people who know me will tell you, I'm a firm believer in holidays.  As a country, we have a good amount of holidays.  Let me just run down the list with you.

January - New Years, Martin Luther King Day
February - Valentines Day, Presidents Day
March - St Patrick's Day
April - Earth Day, Easter
May - Mother's Day, Memorial Day
June - Flag Day, Father's Day
July - Independence Day
September - Labor Day
October - Columbus Day, Halloween
November - Veteran's Day, Thanksgiving
December - Christmas Eve, Christmas

You'll notice that there's a month missing.  August.  Poor, sad, unobserved August.  31 days of nothing.  For years, I have been writing my government representatives petitioning them to use my birthday as an excuse for a holiday.  (It's in August ya know.)

That's not self serving at all.  In fact, I'm giving up quite a lot to create a holiday on my birthday.  For instance, on Stark Day, you don't give presents.  So I wouldn't even get my birthday presents.  See?  That's a big sacrifice.

I've put a lot of thought and effort into it, and despite the best efforts of those government representatives' interns blocking me at every turn, I still hope one day to create Stark Day as an observed holiday.

I'm certain you want it too.  It'll be fun.  Think of the blank slate of traditions we have.  Other than the presents thing.  I don't want my holiday to turn into a marketing fiasco.

Want to spend the day sewing fish themed clothing?  I could be hip to that.

Or spreading mayonnaise on the lawn?  A bit cliche, but that's cool.

I'd like to see people gathered all over the country singing this.  (Oh come on, you know you want to sing along!)

Okay, maybe we could make it okay to give others half-pony half-monkey monsters to other people.

So...

What about you readers?  What fun tradition would you like to see on Stark Day?

2 comments:

  1. I vote for the fish clothing!
    ...that or everybody has to sing everything they say the whole day!

    =Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I would totally be down for singing everything they say! Imagine ALL of my jokes in one magnificent song!

    ReplyDelete