Wednesday, March 2, 2011

My Day Off

Today is my day off since I work this Saturday.  Usually I take days like these to relax and hang out, run errands, etc.  Today I ended up reading comics.  I'd like to share with you one that I really enjoyed!

Fallen Justice written by Cary Kelley and Steven Forbes, Art by Harold Edge

It's one of my favorites now, and I'm lucky enough to own a signed copy.  I came across it last year when I was looking for inspiration for a superhero campaign for my regular gaming group.  I read the synopsis, and then saved up to buy it as soon as possible!  I'd advise everyone who likes superheroes to buy it as well.

One of the best things about the artwork is that it's not as unrealistic as some of the mainstream comic artwork.  The women aren't completely absurdly drawn as with other comics, and look more akin to real life than other works of art that I've read.

It's also worked as the perfect inspiration for my campaign.  Since I play pen and paper role-playing games, on a regular basis, one of the many things I love doing is creating exciting new worlds and settings for my friends to experience.

Side Note:  For those not familiar with "pen and paper role-playing games" click here.  Back to the blog.

I've come up with some interesting and wacky settings in my time, very few of which actually reach the table.  But this Fallen Justice campaign idea was too good to pass up.  It also gave me a chance to bring back my very first role-playing character!!!

His name was Brink, and he was a member of the Justice League of America in the game.  I played him for almost two years, fighting crime, building a relationship (as only a twelve year old entering puberty can imagine) with the super heroine Fire.  Eventually though, as with every geeky kid with an allowance will do, the comic Death of Superman wound up in our midst, and our Game Master decided since our characters were in the Justice League, we should have to play out that scenario as our heroes. 

At the end of our two day gaming spree, Doomsday killed Fire, who was at the time in our game Brink's wife, and Brink lost it.  He went completely insane, and attacked Doomsday all out, which resulted in his death.

All of our characters died that day.  We stopped playing Champions and moved onto D&D.  That was the summer of 1993.

So, for this campaign set on Fallen Justice, I've decided to merge it with the Justice League, and the group will be fresh recruits being trained by Justice League veteran member Brink.  I'm hoping the group will totally enjoy it.

I know, I'm a total geek, but this is what you get for a blog post on a day off with comic books.

So, dear readers, what do you do on your days off?

1 comment:

  1. Aaawwww... the women... drawn only like a 12 year old boy would imagine them.
    ...or the way men between 12 and 112 would imagine them.

    ;) Deanna

    ReplyDelete