Saturday, March 26, 2011

Descent Into Geekdom

Over the past ten years or so, I have noticed a slow, downward spiral towards ultimate geekdom in my life.

It started with MMORPGs, then moved to buying my own custom built computer (thanks Chad), then it moved to purchasing high speed internet, followed by what I consider the most recent milestones in this tragic tale of normal boy transformed into a geek.

First, even though I do play table top RPGs every week, I had never EVER been to a convention.  That experience happened last year at GameCon, where I not only attended my first convention, I actually ran a game for them!!!

Follow that up several months later where I ran not one, but two games at SpoCon.

That's when I first noted the descent.  I had crossed a line into a world of geekiness that I believe escape from is impossible at this point.

Technically, impossible from the point of last night at 9:30pm.

You see, there's one aspect of geekdom that I had yet to participate fully in until last night, and that was a fullblown LARP (Live Action Role Play for those who don't know).

Side Note:  I technically spent 5 years in Amtgard role playing there, but there were few cahnces, and it was mostly combat oriented with padded weapons, rather than actual role playing.  Back to the Blog.

At first, I was prepared to jump in with both feet and no clue as to how to play, which is my favorite approach to all games, but then I was informed of Deanna's parents coming into town and wanting to go out with dinner, so I just went along to observe until dinner time.  But after dinner, I went back to the LARP, and jumped right in.

The scariest thing was how much I enjoyed it.  Let me put it into perspective for you.  Friday night was going to be pretty short.  I had to be at work today at 5:30am, so my bedtime was 8:00pm last night, just so I could get some decent sleep.  People showed up, and starting gathering at the LARP at a little after 6:00pm.  The plan for dinner was to meet up with Deanna and her folks around 7:00pm, eat, and then go home and go to bed.

I didn't even play before dinner, I just hung around and chewed the fat with a couple friends before leaving.  Yet, all through dinner, it was an epic battle between my normal self and my geek self as to whether I should go home, be responsible and sleep, or go back to the game and play a little, despite the lateness and having to work early.  I ended up going back to the game.  Which caused me to get to bed around midnight, and up at 4:30am to get ready for work.

I'm a little tired right now, but my inner geek is sustaining me, since it is so pleased at winning the fight last night and getting to come out and take control.

So, my name is Dave.  I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess...I'm also a geek.  And proud of it.

I have arrived at my destination, Geek City, population: me.

How close are you to total Geekdom, dear readers?  And does blogging really count as a geek activity these days??

No comments:

Post a Comment