Monday, March 7, 2011

Can I Have a Day of Rest Please?

This weekend, unfortunately, was extremely busy.

Saturday I was up at 4:30 to get to work at 5:30, worked until 2:00pm, then met up with Deanna for some quality alone time and a movie.  I got to bed at about 11:30pm.  Needless to say, I was tired.

Sunday I was up at 6:30 to do much needed laundry, and to complete the sermon I had been preparing.  Then, 8:30am, Children's Church round one.  I'm covering two services because our Family Pastor is in Hawaii for two weeks.  9:45am and I'm up the street for a cup of coffee and more sermon writing.  11:00am is the start of our second service, and my round 2 of Children's Church.

About 15 minutes until the end of class, and I have to call it quits, take a seat, and let the kids descend into chaos.  At this point, I'm exhausted.  After class, Deanna comes and gets me, and we head to lunch.  And God tells me He wants me to rewrite the sermon I had planned.  This is now 1:00pm.  I preach at 2:00pm, and we just ordered lunch.

1:37pm rolls around, I have 2 pages of sermon notes, a belly full of General's Chicken, fried prawns, and BBQ pork.  This doesn't help my physical state, and on top of that, I haven't gone to the bathroom since 6:30 that morning.  I was kind of in agony.

3:00pm.  Service is done.  Instead of the 10-12 minute message I was asked to preach, I ended up preaching about 20 minutes.  I managed to find the bathroom before the service so that I didn't explode.  I felt even more exhausted, kind of like falling asleep standing (which I've done once before in a blizzard while holding a cup of coffee). 

You would think this would be an appropriate time to relax and take a long nap, but I didn't.  I have a standing Sunday Night obligation to play RPGs with a bunch of friends.  I wanted to cancel, but I really didn't have the time to do so without being uber-rude, so I went. 

Skipping over the fun, geeky details of running around in Tolkien's Second Age Middle Earth, I went to bed at around 10:30pm.

I'm still tired.  Exhausted.  In need of a weekend I can sleep in and relax.

Fortunately, this week only has a couple days planned after work.  The rest I intend to go to bed early. 

No comments:

Post a Comment