Thursday, March 24, 2011

Surprises

Yesterday was my day off (I work this Saturday), and my chance to do something nice for Deanna.  But I had to surprise her.  More to the point, I have to actually work at surprising her.

I'm not good at keeping secrets when it involves surprises.  For some genetic reason, I just have to tell someone.  It's not a desire so much as a driving need to let it out.  Because of that, I have to work extremely hard to do something she doesn't expect.

And that usually involves telling someone else who won't tell her.

Moving on though, I also had to hide the fact I wasn't at work, or else she'd totally know I was up to something.  So I got up early to call her, as is our usual morning routine.

Side Note:  There are a lot of people, some friends included, that automatically assume that we live together.  This is not the case.  She lives on the north side of the city, and I live on the east side, close to the Idaho border.  It's about 35 minutes one way to her house.  And it's kinda fun to watch people boggle and reel when they find out we aren't living together, or even sleeping together.  It's also sad that even people who know us as Christians still just assume we're living and sleeping together prior to being married.  Oh well.  Back to the blog.

After I called her, I wanted to go over to her place right away to get everything ready, but I knew she sometimes goes home for lunch, and I didn't want to get caught in the act.

Side Note:  Yes, I have a key to her place, mostly for emergencies, or surprises, like this one.  It's not an open door policy.  Back to the blog.

So I did whatever I could to bide my time.  I played some Pokemon, watched a movie, even did my laundry!  Eventually, I was in the safe zone and went over.

I did her dishes, cleaned off the dining room table, and planned our evening.  Frisbee at the park until sunset, then a candle-lit dinner, followed by "Dirty Dancing".  The only problem I had with keeping it all a surprise was were to park my car.  Of course, my awesome "ninja skillz" took over and I hid it in plain sight.  She even walked right past it and didn't think to look twice.

Side Note:  I really do have "ninja skillz", but I'm saving that for another post.  Back to the blog.

In fact, genuine surprise covered her face when I opened the door and welcomed her home.  She was quite delighted.

The rest of our evening went well, and I was super proud of myself for being able to keep it all a secret.

Also, "Dirty Dancing" was a pretty good movie, although Deanna kept having to cover my eyes during a couple scenes.

So, dear readers, what have you done for your sweetheart lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment