Sunday, February 6, 2011

Cake Tastings and Other Fun Food Stuff

Yesterday afternoon, Deanna and I set out on a cake tasting.  Just as a precaution, I recommend you do not read the following post without being full first.

We chose a couple of local spots, whose names shall not be mentioned here, and went to go sample their wonderful cakes.  The first place we went to had a great eye for decoration, and we were able to sit in a quiet, cozy corner and pour over the pictures.  We got a fair amount of quotes and ideas, along with two slices to go.  One was white cake with a fudge filling, the other a chocolate cake with raspberry filling.  Both had butter cream frosting. 

I wasn't really impressed about the white cake, because it was a bit dry.  But the chocolate one was nice and moist.  The raspberry filling, and pretty much all fruit fillings are out for the wedding cake.  We're both of the same opinion, that fruit fillings aren't that good.  Next, we went to our second spot, who's focus was on flavor.  This tasting was a bit better in presentation.  We were served 7 slices, with our choice of fillings on the side, and a cup of coffee.

Side Note:  I am what you call a "super taster".  You can wiki that, or I can explain it briefly.  Basically, it means that my taste buds are more numerous and/or more sensitive than the average person.  Taste is a big thing to me, and it means that certain things taste worse or better.  For example, those yummy martinis everyone seems to enjoy taste like turpentine to me.  Also, I can't stand artificial sweeteners because they taste very bitter.  What this means is that when we're cake tasting, my taste buds tend to take control of my brain.  Back to the blog.

We spent quite a few minutes sampling.  Orange Cream, Washington Apple, Chocolate Fudge, Carrot Cake, Red Velvet, Sour Cream White, Almond Poppy Seed, all with vanilla custard, chocolate custard, and hazelnut fillings.  The Almond Poppy Seed really stuck out, and we had our winner there.  The only downside to the wonderful tasting was the prices of the cakes.  Nearly two times the amount of the first place, and less focus on decoration than we'd like.

Side Note:  I have to admit to leaving out the whole taste bud brainwashing I underwent.  It was an interesting discussion, but Deanna knows me, and after we left, decision making was again transferred to my brain.  Back to the blog.

Now that cake day is over, we're onto Game Day today.  Deanna is a big sports fan, I'm not.  Typically on Sunday evenings, I hang out with a bunch of fellow geeks and play tabletop role-playing games, and Deanna stays home or hangs out with friends.  But today, I am skipping my gaming group to join her at my Pastor's house (we go to different churches) for the Superbowl.  I'm doing it because I love her to pieces.

Well, time to get ready for my Quizzing class at church.  I'm looking forward to spending time with my fiance and her sports habit today.  I hope you all have a great day as well!  And I also hope that the Packings get a long Home Run in the 3rd period!  (I'm totally joking!  I know what sport and teams are playing today.)

No comments:

Post a Comment