Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Cool Stuff on the Horizon

Well, today starts my official countdown.  200 days until we say "I do"!  I'm excited, if you can't tell yet...

I also am really excited about today because I received my first two assignments as a preacher outside of my local church!  About once a month, our church's Pastors go and preach at a couple local retirement homes, and bring messages of hope and love to those wonderful folks.  Now I'm one of the ones who gets to go and bring the message.

I've always felt called to a position of preaching, and I've been pursuing that course through classes from my denomination, but aside from the one class on telling the story of God, and one message in our local church, I've never really had any experience doing it.  I'm active in my church, right now helping in the children's department as Quizzing Coach (I just got asked if I wanted to do it again next year, to which I said yes), but this is something different than just Children's Church.

Am I nervous?  Oh, yes of course.  I will never forget what my junior high band teacher once said to me.  "You're nervous because you care."  And I absolutely care.  Not about what they think of me, or how I might come across, but I really care about these people, and leading them in the Spirit as God directs.  I really hope that I get to see the results of the Lord's work.

I'm looking forward to this opportunity, and bringing the message to those wonderful folks! 

Plus, I really like talking.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats Son! It took 12 years if I remember correctly, to get to this point to preach! Wish I were there!

    Congrats also on your "200 days and counting"! I am so happy for you and Deanna. She's such a catch!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's it! I am starting my diet for your wedding this weekend! It's coming up so fast. :) :)

    Good luck with the preaching. I think you'll do a great job. M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! And best of luck with the diet! I'm keeping with mine pretty well, so hopefully I can get a few more pounds off before the big day!

    ReplyDelete