Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lists and Another Poem

A few days ago, Melissa asked me what's on my bucket list.  Of course, feeling so goofy, I answered "a new bucket".  But seriously, it got me thinking about all the lists I've had in my life.

First, when I became of dating age, there was the "girlfriend list" with all the qualifications, necessary items, measurements, and eye color of my perfect woman, according to my hormones.  Fortunately, I lost it.  Thank goodness, cuz my 12 year old self would not have gone for Deanna. 

Second, there was the list of things I wanted to do before I died, commonly referred to as the "bucket list".  Of course, at age 16, that comprised mostly of losing my virginity, climbing Mount Everest naked, and getting a tatoo that glowed in the dark.  Fortunately for me, my geek instinct took over, and I just got hooked on computer games, marching band, and hanging out with the choir girls in adolesent awkwardness hoping to get my first kiss. 

I still ahve a few things I want to do before I "kick the bucket".  For example, marry Deanna, have kids, and just be a good person.  Wow, I sound old.  Maybe I'll have to kick start my mid-life crisis to come up with something exciting.

The current list I have is something I'm not going to blog about, other than to say that it's a list of "married poeple only" activities and is kind of a running gag between Deanna and I.  How truthful it is...well, that's for us to know.  ;-)

Get your mind out of the gutters, cuz here's the next poem.

This one I wrote at one of my favorite thinking spots downtown, and I really felt like writing about what it would be like to fly along the top of the river, and around the buildings downtown.  Of course, the poem does reflect a Christian view of temptation, as only my twisted mind could put into words.  Just trust me on this, lol.

“An Angel’s Choice” by DC Stark

My wings stretch, caressed by the blue sky’s wind
The water flows smoothly beneath my feet
Peace washes over my soul, my rest was brilliant
A broken angel am I, trapped to travel this world
Yet I do not live in it, my master reigns above
My arms spread with the slowness of total comfort
I lean out over the water, knowing I shall not fall
But which way do I go?  The water beckons me
It is cool and refreshing, but the sky is open and free
Which way shall I choose?
Slowly my feet sink into the water; its power is restrained
It caresses me gently, as would a lover
I can feel its depth, its ever-calling voice to move me
It is fresh and clean, but the sky also calls
It is much larger than this water, it has no depth
Nothing constrains it, nothing holds it back
It is an ever-present kingdom, calling me to be its master
To roam its endless halls for eternity
I am an angel, broken now by my master and my choices
Trapped within this constant decision
I must choose between the water of earth, and the heavens
Which shall I choose? The earth or the power above it?
It is a daily choice, so I spread my wings and fly.

1 comment: