Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Issue at Hand

My apologies for the lack of post yesterday, Deanna and I had the day off work, and we spent most of it together enjoying each others company and shoe shopping.  I didn't get home until around midnight, and I was tired, so I didn't post anything.

What I want to talk about today is a hot topic around the nation currently, even more so with the announcement of the Obama administration deciding not to defend DOMA.  (clicky)  On Thursday, I commented on a blog about the move, and was subsequently called names and attacked after I posted my opinion.

I won't go into specifics, but it was pretty ugly. 

This left me with a bad taste in my mouth, and threw me off my game, causing me to be unfocused for volleyball practice (I played the worst game ever) and has been a real thorn in my side when I'm distracted by life or Deanna.  So I want to give my opinion on this topic here, where I can control the comments better, and avoid all the ugliness that comes with other people's uncensored blogs.

Side Note:  My intent for this blog in it's entirety is to be open and fair with all opinions, but I will not tolerate harassment, name calling, or character assassination in any form, of myself or any commenter.  We should all play nice, and get along, or at least in the case of arguments, be civil in our disagreements.  Back to the blog.

Now, here is my official religious position.

1)  The act of homosexuality is a sin.  (Referencing the passages of 1 Cor. 6:9-10 and 1 Tim 1: 10 and the meaning of the word used in both)

2)  All sin is equal, if we sin against God in one aspect, it's as if we've sinned against Him in all aspects.  (Referencing James 2:10)

3)  We are all sinners.  (Referencing Romans 3:23)

4)  Only through Jesus Christ can we be absolved of our sins.  (Referencing John 3:16-17)

5)  We should display the proper love and concern for everyone who still lives in sin, and seek to lead them to Christ.  (Referencing the passages of 1 John 3:23, John 13:34-35, and Mat 28:18-20)

6)  We are going to suffer for sticking with our beliefs.  (Referencing 2 Tim 3:12)

7)  Despite all that happens, we have the strength to face it.  (Referencing 1 Sam 14:6 and Phil 4:13)

That being said, I do feel that my religious views and beliefs are in no way against the government giving legal equality (that is to say, benefits, rights, privileges) to domestic partners or same-sex couples, for the purpose of maintaining an equality of rights among equal people, as long as it doesn't infringe upon my right to worship and observe a religion of my choosing.

So dear readers, keeping a civil and peaceful mind, what are your views on the issue, or my opinion?

No comments:

Post a Comment