Monday, February 21, 2011

Strange Memories

I've had this issue for a while, where for one reason or another, I can remember part of a movie I watched as a kid, but I can never remember the name.  It bothers me to no end, because, generally, I can remember the name of every movie I've ever watched (and liked). 

For example, I remember a scene of a movie where the camera is following a bug or beetle of some sort crawling on the ground.  A cup or glass is put over the beetle, and it eats its way through.  this repeats a couple of times, until...that's all I remember.  But I know it's a movie I've seen, I know a kid did the thing with the beetle and the glass, and I know he gets on a spaceship, and the crew starts dying off, until the kid has to fly the ship through some asteroids while the captain sits there dying.

See?  It's weird.

And yet, I can't remember the name of the movie.  As for my recollection of movie titles/content, a good example is when last night, while hanging out with friends, one of the said something along the lines of "what's the name of that movie by Cronenberg with the organic guns?" to which I replied, less than two seconds later, "eXistenZ".  Freaky, considering a) I've only seen the previews, never the movie and b) the last time the movie preview played in view of my eyes was the year I graduated high school, 1999. 

I would add that under my Super Powers list, but I'm not 100% accurate if I've never seen anything about the movie, or didn't really like it. 

I've discovered quite a few movies that now reside in my collection that way.  A scene or an image that I remember, and suddenly I see it on TV, and I'm scrambling for the guide to see what movie it was.

So far, I've remembered:
Ice Pirates
Conan the Barbarian
Conan the Destroyer
Krull
Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
The Golden Child

However, the one with the bug, kid and spaceship still elude me.  Any help dear readers?

2 comments:

  1. The only older movie I can think of with a kid on a spaceship is Flight of the Navigator or something like that. At least I think it was a spaceship. I never watched it. Was it that one? Maybe you should try googling what you remember about the movie & see if anything comes up. M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alas, google has failed me with this movie. Although sometimes the results can be entertaining. Flight of the Navigator was one of my favorite movies as a kid, though I don't know why. When I got older, it just felt so depressing to watch it.

    ReplyDelete