Thursday, February 17, 2011

The First Poem

So, this one isn't mine, but it is special to me.  When I was in MCRD San Diego (That's Marine Corps Recruit Depot) I was on watch one night in the weight room, and this poem was up on the wall.  For some reason, it just inspired me, and so the night before we moved to a barracks on the other side of the base, I copied it down.  I'm so glad I did too.


“The Quitter” by Robert Service

When you’re lost in the wild, and you’re scared as a child
And Death looks you bang in the eye
And you’re sore as a boil, it’s according to Hoyle
To cock your revolver and die
But the code of a man says: “Fight all you can”
And self-dissolution is barred
In hunger and woe, oh, it’s so easy to blow
It’s the hell-served-for-breakfast that’s hard
“You’re sick of the game!” Well now that’s ashame
You’re young and you’re brave and you’re bright
“You’ve had a raw deal!” I know, but don’t squeal
Buck up, do your damnedest and fight
It’s the plugging away that will win you the day
So don’t be a piker, old pard!
Just draw on your grit, it’s so easy to quit
It’s the keeping-your-chin-up that’s hard
It’s easy to cry that you’re beaten – and die;
It’s easy to crawfish and crawl;
But to fight and to fight when hopes out of sight –
Why that’s the best game of them all!
And through you come out of each gruelling bout,
All broken and beaten and scarred,
Just have one more try – it’s dead easy to die,
It’s the keeping-on-living that’s hard.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Son, post everything in larger font, will you? Great poem. I have some of your still, I think I was the one who sent you that CD. Looking forward to more posts. Hugs, Mom

    ReplyDelete