Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Get Him to the Geek

Oh yes, I said geek.  Not greek.  Because today is about geeky stuff.

Today, comic books.  It's a little know fact about me that I actually have a comic book collection.  Well, part of one.  Ever since I was a kid, one particular superhero has always been my favorite.  Darkhawk.  Stan Lee wrote the story, though it did not get a lot of love from the comic community.  It's a darker, harsher version of Spiderman, and in my opinion, a better story.

Chris is a kid who's mom is a lawyer, dad is a cop, and he's got two little brothers.  One night, the two brothers disappear in an abandoned theme park, and in searching for them, he witnesses his dad taking bribes from a known crime lord.  The dad leaves, the brothers are discovered, and Chris rushes in to save them.  Grabbing for a weapon, he grabs a sharp looking amulet, and transforms into Darkhawk, a being with mysterious powers and abilities.

From there, it just gets better.  The crime lord targets his mom, his dad is accused of being crooked and disappears, and Chris has to deal with every villain that wants the power of the amulet.  He runs across some standard villains, gets on the bad side of some superheroes, and learns the origins of the Darkhawk powers.  There's 50 comics in all, plus a ton of cameo and super group team ups.  I only own a handful of them, and I am always hunting for the rest.

I always felt connected to the characters because of the dysfunctional family life.  It added some real world drama into the mix, and I really enjoyed it.  I also have a couple X-men comics that I really enjoyed (Psylocke was my favorite character in that series, mostly because of puberty), and the full mini-series of The Crow comics released in the 90s.  Those are sealed and mint condition.  Maybe one day I'll pass them to my geeky children, but not until I'm done collecting comics. 

Which will continue until I own all the Darkhawk comics.  But I think Deanna's okay with it.  One year she got me a couple X-men comics that I had been looking for to add to my collection.  Did I mention that I'm completely in love with her?

No comments:

Post a Comment