Wednesday, February 23, 2011

My Movie List

One of the lists I have in my life are movies that I want to see.  Typically, I just make it a mental list, and refer to it when I am just browsing.  I often find movies on my list a pawn shops, or second hand stores.  I feel like I'm rescuing a friend when I buy them.

Movies, to me, are usually treated like a collectors item.  They are, by nature, a celebration of artistic talent and great labor.  They should be savored, left to linger on your mind, and enjoyed for years to come.  Those are the movies I like.

And at the cost of $200 a ticket at the theatres, they should be waited for until they hit the rental stores.  While I'm waiting though, I tend to go and browse the shelves to see what movies I have on my list that I could watch now, and not have to wait. 

Wikipedia has been most kind to me in this regard. 

I often browse the top ten movies of each year in film to determine what movies I have seen, haven't seen, want to see, and wish I hadn't seen.  Plus, I can read up on the plots of questionable movies to see if they make the list.

Just going by the lists of the past two decades of top ten films, I find my list of movies yet to watch incredibly short, but lacking essential movie cornerstones.  The following is the list of movies I have not seen, but want to see from 1990 on.

Pretty Woman (1990)
Basic Instinct (1992)
The Firm (1993)
Sleepless in Seattle (1993)
Philadelphia (1993)
The Pelican Brief (1993)
Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994)
Jerry Maguire (1996)
Shakespeare In Love (1998)
Die Another Day (2002)
The Passion of the Christ (2004)
WALL-E (2008)

Now, I know what you're thinking.  "How can he have not watched <insert movie you have watched> ??"

Truth is, a lot of these movies I just have never gotten around to, or never came across while browsing the movies available.  Or maybe I just wasn't in the mood. 

One particular movie, "The Passion of the Christ" has kept me away with the audience make up, rather than anything else.  I want to see this movie with a bunch of other Christians and discuss it afterwards over a cup of coffee.  However, usually when a local church plays this film, I go stand in line, and I'm shocked to see parents bring their children with them.  And I'm not talking about mid-life-transformation-teenagers either.  I'm talking 6 year olds.  Frankly, it puts me off watching this movie. 

Side Note:  I have asked to be given for a gift giving occasion a large red 'F' stamp with permanent ink, so that I can mark the foreheads of parents that are failing to raise their kids properly.  I'm afraid to see who I will turn into once someone gives me this.  Yet, it still remains on my list.  Back to the blog.

The others on the list are mostly drama movies, and I have a small appetite for those films.  To me, they are like going to P.F. Chang's.  I go there, about once or twice a year, just to remind myself why I don't eat there.  They both (the movies and Chang's) look good, and entice me into them, but the substance leaves me wishing I had gone elsewhere for something lighter.

So dear readers, what about you?  Do you have a list of movies you want to watch?  Does something in particular turn you off to certain movies?  Please, share!

2 comments:

  1. Um...you've never seen Pretty Woman???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude. One of the best chic flicks EVER! :) You have to watch it this weekend & blog your thoughts. :) I really really like Four Weddings & a Funeral (in fact I own it), but it's not for everyone. I don't really have a list. I wish I did. I feel like I've seen everything. I enjoy finding obscure-ish movies that hardly anyone else (in my peer group) has seen that are really good, such as Amelie, Frozen River, Lars & The Real Girl, etc. Mostly I'm disappointed when I rent those type of movies, but every so often you find a treasure. What turns me off at movie theatres is seeing someone bring in a baby, a large group of teenagers, especially if they sit behind us, or anyone that keeps checking their cell phones in a dark theatre. Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a good idea. I will try and watch that with Deanna this weekend. As for audience trouble, I couldn't agree with you more. I love flicking popcorn at those people, if they are in range, especially the cell phone users.

    ReplyDelete